Sunday, August 12, 2012

Peach Pie

So many peaches, so little time! In an effort to use up ripe peaches I decided to make pies in bulk (and freeze peach slices, but that's another story).

First I mixed up my pie crust in my Bosch mixer.


Here's my pie crust recipe:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup crisco
1 tsp salt
1 to 2 Tbsps sugar
1/2 cup ice cold water

In a bowl, stir together the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter and shortening. Cut the butter and shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add ice cold water, little by little, mixing as you go until the dough can be gathered into a ball. The dough should not stick (I added a little too much water, but it still worked).

Divide the dough into two portions, one slightly larger then the other. Roll between wax paper. Keep rolling until the dough is less than a quarter of an inch thick.


For the fruit filling, I used the recipe from the Mennonite Girls Can Cook cookbook.

For peach filling add 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp flour, 3 Tbsp tapioca. Tossed with peeled and sliced peaches.


Pour into bottom shell and cover with second crust. Brush top with beaten egg white. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes, then turn down to 350F and bake for an additional 60 minutes.


I doubled the crust recipe and stretched it to make 3 pies, 2 for the freezer and 1 for now!

2 comments:

  1. beautiful pie. and, do you have a bosch mixer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do have a bosch mixer, and a few of the attachments such as the blender, food processor and shredder....

    ReplyDelete