Sunday, August 19, 2012

Salsa

It's been a little while since I canned salsa, but we are just starting to enjoy it! This year was great for tomatoes in Kansas (at least in my garden!).

Here are my tomato plants in early summer



I managed to put away many jars of salsa and a few of pizza sauce!

Here is my salsa recipe, credit to the Winkler Mennonite Bergthaler Church Cookbook - We're Cooking!
16 cups tomatoes (peeled)
8 cups chopped onion
8 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup vinegar
5-6 jalapenos (add more if you like it hot!)
2-3 green chilies
8 tsp salt
1 can (12oz) tomato paste

I chop up the onion, garlic and peppers in my food processor. I blend the tomatoes (Jordan likes his salsa to be thin). Mix together a boil for 30 minutes or longer, till slightly thick.



To can I bake the jars at 250F for about 20-30 minutes, and then pour the hot salsa in. Put on the lids and they seal everytime!

And they look lovely sitting in the cupboard!



No comments:

Post a Comment